For anyone who thinks they will go hungry during my Winter 5 Day Detox (January 23 -27, 2017), here’s just a little sample of what’s on the menu! This is Coconut Yam Soup. It’s light, yet filling. Have it with a green salad and it’s the perfect meal!
Sign up for the Winter 5 Day Detox here.
Coconut Yam Soup
Makes enough for 3 lunches
- 2 large or 3 small garnet yams, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 C vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (14-oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 TB wheat-free tamari
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat and sauté garlic and onions in olive oil until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add diced yams or sweet potatoes, coconut milk and broth, and simmer until potatoes are soft (about 20 minutes.)
- Add remaining ingredients, and blend using an immersion blender, or pour ingredients into container of countertop blender. Blend until smooth, adding water by the TB if you need more liquid.
- To reheat, place in pot and warm slowly over medium-low heat, stirring until warmed through.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley, and pomegranate seeds, and serve!
Note: It’s very important to hold a towel over the blender lid if the sweet potatoes are still hot to prevent the lid blowing off when blending. Heat expands in blenders and can create so much pressure that the lid can come off and spray hot soup all over you and your kitchen.